Serving as a fine example of military architecture, Kolossi castle was originally built in 1210 by the Order of St. John of Jerusalem as the seat of the Supreme military commandment. It was destroyed during the raids of the Mameluke tribes in 1426 and was rebuilt in 1454 by the Great Commander Louis de Magnac in its present form.

After the fall of Acre in 1291, it served as the Grand Commandery of the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, and in the 14th century came under the domain of the Knights Templar. During their stay in Cyprus, the Knights produced and exported a sweet wine, which became known as the ‘vin de Commanderie’. Today, Commandaria wine is one of the island’s traditional wines and one of the oldest named wines in the world, having had the same name for eight centuries.

Next to the castle are the ruins of a 14th century sugar mill.

Region: Lemesos (Limassol)

Address: Kolossi, 14km west of Lemesos on the road towards Pafos (Paphos)

Contact No:        Tel: +357 25 934 907

Operating Hours:  September 16 - April 15: 08:30 - 17:00

April 16 - September 15: 08:30 - 19:30

Operating Period:            All year round.

Entrance Fee:    €2,50


Bus Nr 17 at the  Old Hospital.Get off in front of the Castle.


please wait....