Situated in the heart of the city’s historical center, the Lemesos Castle was built in the 12th century over an Early Christian Basilica and a Middle Byzantine monument. The architectural phase visible today dates to the period of the Ottoman rule. It houses the Medieval Collection of the Cyprus Museum.

The Cyprus Medieval Museum is housed in the Medieval Castle of Lemesos (Limassol) with exhibits that include Medieval pottery, tombstones, superb silver Byzantine era plates, weapons, crosses and coins.

According to archaeological sources, the castle was much larger in its original form, with the Venetians making many modifications to it so that it could be used in the defences of the town, with its walls strengthened to ward off sea-pirates.

Legend has it that Richard the Lionheart - the King of England and leader of the 3rd Crusade - landed near Amathous on his way to the Holy Land and celebrated his marriage to Berengaria of Navarre in the castle’s chapel in 1191, crowning her Queen of England.

In 1570 the Ottomans conquered the castle and used it as a garrison and jail. During British Rule it functioned as a police station, and briefly as a place of detainment.




Richard & Berengaria, near the Old Port, tel +357 25305419.

Bus Nr 30 Any bus stop at seafront road. Get off at the old port.